What is Low Light Laser Therapy?
The lasers used in LLLT are typically small (often handheld) units, and unlike surgical and aesthetic lasers, do not heat the targeted tissue. Instead, LLLT emits low levels of light that are absorbed by your mitochondria (the energy-producing organelles in many of your cells), which then can increase cellular energy production and ultimately help heal surrounding tissue. This process is comparable to plant photosynthesis, during which sunlight is absorbed by plants and converted to energy for the plants to grow.
Low-level laser therapy may sometimes provide an effective alternative to surgery or medications—without accompanying side effects. It can help regenerate tissue, reduce inflammation, decrease pain, and increase immunity.LLLT is used to: increase the speed, quality and tensile strength of tissue repair; resolve inflammation and relieve pain.
Benefits of laser therapy for hair loss
- Low level laser thereapy can be used in both men and women
- No adverse effects have been reported
- It is clean and painless
- Low level laser hair therapy is relatively inexpensive
- It requires minimal time commitment
- Some low level laser therapy devices are portable
- Hair growth may occur on the top of the head/crown and along the hairline of forehead